Coupons are a powerful marketing feature. They can help you to reward your longtime customers, to generate more sales, or to test new pricing strategies. In Rebilly, coupons allow you to apply different types of discounts to invoices, subscriptions, and pricing plans.
Coupons are very flexible, so you can set coupons to be redeemed to an exact invoice or subscription. Also, you can make a coupon which will be applied an only exact number of times. These coupon settings are called restrictions.
Note that redeemed coupons are redeemed not to invoice/subscription/plan, but to a customer and will be applied to every invoice or subscription of that customer (if they fit the coupon’s restrictions.)
How to Create a Coupon
Go to the Coupons & Discounts page within settings.
Click on the "Add Coupon" button and fill out the form.
You will be asked to choose the following information:
- Redemption code: Your customers will use this code to redeem the coupon. You may choose your own code or let Rebilly generate a random one.
- Description: Any free-form description for the coupon.
- Issued time: Coupon will not be available to redeem until this time.
- Expired time: Time when the coupon will expire and therefore not be available to redeem.
- Discount type: Can be fixed or a percentage.
- Coupon restrictions: The coupon may be configured to be applied only with certain conditions. More information is in above “Restriction Types” section. Don’t forget to set restrictions, or else this coupon will be applied to every customer’s invoice and subscription!
Once you’re done filling out the form, click “Save Coupon” to complete the process.
Difference Between Redeem and Apply
To redeem means to attach a coupon to the customer. The coupon will be applied to the customer’s invoices automatically if it fits the coupon’s restrictions.
A coupon may have one of these types of discounts: fixed (fixed amount) or percent (percentage of subtotal). Note that coupons with fixed type will be applied only to invoices with the same currency.
These are the restriction types Rebilly supports:
- Discounts per redemption: This restriction type allows you to limit how many times the coupon will be applied by one redemption. For example, it is really useful when you want a coupon to be applied only to the first two subscription renewals.
- Redemptions per customer: This restriction type allows you to limit how many times a coupon can be redeemed by one customer. We recommend you limit the redemptions per customer to one.
- Restrict to invoices: This restriction type allows you to restrict a coupon to specified invoices.
- Restrict to products: This restriction type allows you to restrict a coupon to specified products.
- Restrict to plans: This restriction type allows you to restrict a coupon to specified pricing plans.
- Restrict to order subscriptions: This restriction type allows you to restrict a coupon to specified order subscriptions.
- Minimum order amount: This restriction type allows you to set a minimum order amount for a coupon application. For example, if the restriction amount is $20, the coupon will be applied only to invoices with a total amount of more than $20.
- Total redemptions: This restriction type allows you to set how many times a coupon can be redeemed by different customers.
How to View the Coupons List
Go to the Settings page and click the “Coupons & Discounts” link. You will see the list of your issued coupons.
How to Redeem a Coupon
On the blue left-hand menu, click on the “Orders” icon to see the full list of orders. From there, choose a customer you want to apply the coupon to. In the “Order Details” section, click the “Redeem Coupon” button and select a coupon to redeem. You will have the option to send an email to the customer to notify them.
How to View the Redemptions List
Head back to the Settings and go to the Coupons & Discounts page. From there, click the "Redemptions List" link. On this page, you will see the full redemptions list. This is where you can cancel any redemption if needed.
Can I change the redemption code?
No, you cannot change a redemption code. You can create a new coupon code though.
Can I change the the coupon?
Once a coupon has been redeemed it cannot be modified. You may deactivate a coupon. You may create a new coupon, but you cannot reuse the same coupon code. If you have same case where you absolutely must reuse the same code, please contact us and an administrator can help review your case and propose a solution.